Dating from the 15th century, the large oak twin-figured roof bosses are decorative carvings from the beams of St Dionysius’ Church in Market Harborough.
They depict six individuals including five angels and one monstrous figure representing the Devil.
In 1953, the church’s old nave roof had to be replaced due to extensive damage from the death-watch beetle. These bosses were rescued in the process. There are seven in total: three are at Harborough Museum and the rest are in the care of Leicestershire County Council.
One of the bosses is the only known depiction of an angel wearing a medieval woman’s headdress. From the figures’ clothing and hair styles, they most likely date from between 1470 and 1480.
Return to The Collections