Throughout 2020 Market Harborough Library and Harborough Museum have been closed or partially open. Staff have been very busy preparing to open, or creating ways to reach our audiences virtually and one of the Library Service Assistants, Rona Halse, has written this short history of Harborough.
I have a background in History, I studied it at the University of York, and I used to teach it at a Leicester City school and a County Upper school. I offered to do something for the museum as I am very interested in Local History…That’s where this took off as I discovered more and more about the town and its history in the course of my research.
In this history of the town I have tried to leave out the boring bits. That is, the bits I find boring and can’t be bothered to include. After all History is subjective and this is my version.Rona Halse, Library Service Assistant at Harborough Museum and Market Harborough Library
Choose a chapter below:
Due to lock down I was mainly reliant on the internet and I used a very wide selection of websites, most of which are listed below.
- Market Harborough Museum
- The Victoria County History on line
- Various articles from The Harborough Mail
- Market Harborough Historical Society
- Market Harborough Congregational Church
- Market Harborough Swimming Club
- Market Harborough Musical Theatre/ Market Harborough Theatre
- Great Bowden Heritage and Archaeology
- The Leicestershire Historian 1987
- Cinema Treasures
- Stuart Maconie: The Long Walk From Jarrow
- Michael Wood: The story Of England