Richards & Sons was a successful business in Market Harborough, listed in the 1908 Kelly’s directory as ‘tailors and habit makers, 29 High Street’. Later, their premises were at 60 High Street and the Manor House. Market Harborough had many large manufacturers, such as R & W H Symington & Co Ltd and smaller companies such as Richards & Sons were successful by providing retail and services to wealthier clients.
Many firms, including Richards & Sons, took on apprentices. In the past, apprenticeships were an important way for young people to learn a craft or trade, and made sure the next generation of workers had the right skills. Georgina Maddock, of Little Bowden, became an apprentice at Richards & Sons in 1904 as a shirt maker.