Skip to content
Harborough Museum

Symington Foods

Symington Foods

William Symington travelled from his home in Dumfries, Scotland and settled in Market Harborough in 1827. A young businessman and inventor, he founded a company selling tea, coffee and groceries, in the streets around St Dionysius’s church.

In 1852, William invented dried pea flour that could be used for making soups and broths just by adding boiling water. It was enormously popular across the country and also during the Crimean War (1853 -1856) as soldiers had to fight and feed themselves in freezing conditions.

Explorers also recognised the benefits of Symington’s dried foods and in 1901 the company supplied pea flour to Captain Scott’s Discovery Antarctic Expedition. Scott even wrote in his diary: ‘A lot can be done with the addition of a little boiled pea meal’ One of Scott’s food stores was actually discovered fifty years later and incredibly the supplies of Symington’s pea flour was found to be edible!

Opening hours





Contact us

Send a message

Tel: 0116 305 3627

Address: The Symington Building, Adam and Eve Street, Market Harborough, LE16 7LT (Car Park: LE16 7XA)

The Symington Building logo
Logos for the partners of Harborough Museum
Visit England Quality Assured Attraction logo

Copyright 2023 © Leicestershire County Council - Terms of use | Accessibility statement