Skip to content
Harborough Museum

Tag Archives: thomas the tank engine

Green Plaque shortlist revealed

Green Plaque shortlist revealed

The Green Plaques scheme, which allow you to nominate and vote for people and places around the county to be recognised, has a new shortlist. Several people and places from Harborough, including John Theodore Kenney who illustrated Thomas the Tank Engine – are in the running to secure a prestigious green plaque from Leicestershire County Council.

A dozen names are on the shortlist revealed this week, and the general public are now invited to have their say on who the final six should be to receive a plaque.

The list also includes seaman Tommy Brown, who helped rescue the Enigma cypher machine from a German submarine during the Second World War; William Pearson of South Kilworth, who co-founded the Royal Astronomical Society, and the site of the 1816 Luddite attack in Loughborough.

Voting closes on 31 July, and the six finalists will then be announced shortly afterwards. People can vote, for up to six favourites, online at or by requesting a postal form on 0116 305 4112.

Councillor Pam Posnett, cabinet member for green plaques, said: “Once again, our judges have come up with an exciting and varied shortlist. I hope people will again get behind their favourites and vote for them.”

The shortlist in full is:

  • Seaman Tommy Brown, from Hinckley, awarded the George Medal during the Second World War
  • Melton Drill Hall, headquarters for both the Leicestershire Yeomanry and Territorials during the First World War
  • George Fox, from Fenny Drayton near Hinckley, founder of the Quaker movement
  • Army captain Robert Gee, who spent his childhood in Countesthorpe, awarded the Victoria Cross during the First World War
  • Former home of Heathcoat & Boden’s lace factory, Loughborough, site of the Luddite attack of 1816
  • Ann Ayre Hely, from Ravenstone, who was a nurse during the Crimean War
  • John Theodore Kenney, from Kibworth, who illustrated the Thomas the Tank Engine books
  • William Pearson, from South Kilworth, a co-founder of the Royal Astronomical Society
  • Pestilence Cottage, at Old Woodhouse, also known  as the Plague Houses
  • Eric Pinkett, of Loughborough, founder of Leicestershire County School of Music and Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra
  • Lord Macaulay, of Rothley, historian, essayist and poet
  • George Spencer, of Lutterworth, industrialist and benefactor

Opening hours





Contact us

Send a message

Tel: 0116 305 3627

Address: The Symington Building, Adam and Eve Street, Market Harborough, LE16 7LT (Car Park: LE16 7XA)

The Symington Building logo
Logos for the partners of Harborough Museum
Visit England Quality Assured Attraction logo

Copyright 2023 © Leicestershire County Council - Terms of use | Accessibility statement